A hot nail

Friends, I don’t like to complain… but this has been a very rough week.

So, do you remember how I had a massage and a chiropractic adjustment the other day? I had the next day off, because the chiropractor wanted to make sure my bones didn’t move back out of place again after she worked so hard to fix them. But I’d had a light week with more days off than usual, so I had a lot of pent up energy. I didn’t want another day off! But Mommy knows what’s best for me, and I have to do what Mommy asks of me.

Then, on Friday, I got new shoes.

Getting new shoes!

Getting new shoes!

Now, as I’m sure you know, getting new shoes isn’t as easy for us horses as it is for humans; it’s hard work, and it’s hardly ever enjoyable. With the hammering on our feet, and the standing in funny positions, holding our feet up in the air for prolonged periods of time… I always feel a little sore afterward, and it’s hard to behave nicely the entire time. I try my best… but it’s very difficult! Especially when I have so much extra energy! Needless to say, I was kind of naughty on Friday while my friend John was putting on my new shoes…

Anyway, after I got my new shoes, the vet showed up… which is never a good sign. I mean, don’t get me wrong – all of the vets I’ve known have been so nice, and I know that they always make me feel better when I’m sick or in pain. But I wasn’t sick, and I wasn’t in pain… so I knew that it wasn’t going to be a particularly fun visit.

Apparently, it was time for my seasonal vaccinations, which are no fun at all. Vaccinations mean that I have to get shots, some of which make me feel a little bit yucky afterward. One of the vaccinations (for a disease called Strangles) even required the vet to stick something up my nose. Very, very unpleasant.

Well, the next day, Mommy came to the barn in the morning and hung out with me for a while. She groomed me, walked me around, and let me eat some grass. We had a very nice time.

Just chillin' with my Mommy!

Just chillin’ with my Mommy!

After we hung out for a while, I let her know that I was very tired from being outside all night, and that I’d love to take a nap. So she cleaned my stall (again!) and put me inside with my fan on, and left me a bunch of hay for when I woke up later. I slept for a long time, and it felt so good to relax! I dreamed about jumping really, REALLY big jumps!

But when I woke up, my back left hoof was hurting.

I ate my dinner grain and went out to the paddock with my friends, William, Troy, and Zii (yes, Zii is back in my paddock again!). I tried to be brave and ignore the pain in my foot, but when my Mommy and Daddy got to the barn (again!), they noticed immediately that I was in pain. Mommy made me walk and trot around to see if she could tell which foot was hurting me; at first, she thought it was my right front foot, but she figured out later that it was actually my back left.

Luckily, Dr. Nathaniel showed up at the barn today and was able to check my feet to figure out where the problem was. Unfortunately, one of the nails in my horseshoe was in too high – and the nail was very long, much longer than the rest of them. That’s what was causing me pain – a hot nail!

Dr. Nathaniel didn’t think that I needed the entire shoe to be taken off, so he just pulled out the nail that was hurting me. He told Daddy that I needed to have Bute, a pain killer and anti-inflammatory drug for horses (kind of like Ibuprofen for humans), and that I should have my whole foot soaked in warm water with Epsom salt each day.

Luckily, Dr. Nathanial didn’t think that my foot would be hurting for long, but he’ll be back again on Tuesday to check on me.

So, as I said before, this has been a very tough week for me. But I think that there are good things around the corner; once I’m healed and back into work, I just know that things will be amazing!

For now, though, I’m going to go lay down in my clean, soft shavings and go to sleep.  (I’m inside tonight, but it’s going to rain anyway, so I don’t mind.)  Even though I have a lot of pent up energy, I’m still exhausted. This week has taken a lot out of me. I hope you’re well, friends… I’ll catch y’all later!

Catch y'all later!

Catch y’all later!

Categories: A Day in the Life of Icchy Star, Memories and Nostalgia | Tags: , | 3 Comments

Post navigation

3 thoughts on “A hot nail

  1. Pingback: Life is a Roller Coaster | The Misadventures of Icarus

  2. Pingback: A beautiful day | The Misadventures of Icarus

  3. Pingback: Meeting the family (and an oxer with a spread) | The Misadventures of Icarus

Icchy wants to know what you think!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: